The PLAB ((Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) test is conducted for the doctors who have qualified overseas and wish to practice medicine in the UK under limited registration. It helps to assess your ability being a doctor, to work safely as a senior house officer in a UK NHS hospital. If a candidate passes the PLAB test but has taken multiple attempts to pass part 1 or part 2 of the PLAB test, this will be taken into consideration during the registration process.
Parts of PLAB and fee structure
- Duration :3 hours
- Question Count:180
- Question Type: MCQ
- You need to answer the right one from five possible answers.
- Test Centre: can be taken in Australia, Canada, Egypt, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, and Sri Lanka.
- Tests held: Twice a year
- Deadline for registration: 5 weeks prior to the test date
- Syllabus: Based on skills and content
- Scenarios: 18
- Question Type: OSCE (practical objective structured clinical exam)
- Duration: Each scenario lasts for 8 minutes
- Tests held: Throughout the year within 2 years of passing part 1 and you are allowed a maximum of 4 attempts.
- Test Centre: can be taken in cities like Manchester, Cambridge, London and United Kingdom.
- Syllabus: Based on communication, history taking, practical skills, clinical examination, and emergency management
Requirements for PLAB
- You must have a primary medical qualification accepted on limited registration issued by an institution as listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- You should attempt IELTS Academic with an overall score of at least 7.5 and a minimum of 7.0 for all the four modules.
- You should have 12 months postgraduate clinical experience at a teaching hospital.
Procedures to follow:
- Before taking the PLAB test, you should sign up a GMC online account to show that your English proficiency and medical qualification are accepted or not.
- After that, you can select a venue for appearing for the PLAB test.
- Appear for PLAB 1 and PLAB 2
- After clearing both the parts, you can apply for registration with a license to practice.
- Validity of the application: within two years from passing part 2 of PLAB test.
- Revise the PLAB test by taking online courses that has many SBA and EMQ questions
- Thoroughly study the basic principles and concepts with clear understanding
- Update the material on a timely basis
- Practice mock tests with a time management
- Be careful in reading the questions especially when there are questions with phrases ‘never’ and ‘always’
- Carefully consider the questions that mentions ‘except’ before answering the same
- Do not waste time on confused questions
- Also don’t take too much time in attempting one question
- Consider your judgement on answer is extremely correct if you are so confident enough.
Accessories to carry for the PLAB examination
- Admit Card
- Pencil Sharpener
- Part 1 results are announced four weeks after the test.
- Part 2 results are announced two weeks after the test.
Moreover, the exact date of the results is announced on the test date.