Planning for Medical PG in USA? You must be familiar with the USMLE application process i.e., you should know how to apply for USMLE from India. To apply for USMLE in India you have to complete the 6-step process which is very important and cannot be skipped.
Apply for USMLE from India
USMLE is also termed as ‘the Boards’ as it is a very challenging three-step exam to get a Medical license to practice Medicine in the US.
- Open the ECFMG website and create an account.
- Then, click on the option ‘I want to apply for ECFMG Certification’
- You will have to request a USMLE/ECFMG identification number.
- Fill in the details in another window after the request and submit the filled form.
- You will have to wait for a couple of weeks for a revert from the ECFMG with your USMLE/ECFMG ID and Password
- You can modify the same if needed.
Note: The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification helps you to access whether international medical graduates are fit to enter fellowship programs or residency or in the United States that are accredited by the ACGME, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- Go to the ECFMG website and fill the USMLE Step 1 application form
- Once you receive an email from ECFMG, you can sign in with your user id and password from the same screen.
- You will be taken to another window.
- Click on the option ‘begin new application’.
- Fill the details in an elaborate form. Make sure all the details you enter are correct and free from errors.
Note: You have to select an eligibility period. This is a three-month period by which you can choose to give your test. Select an eligibility period wisely. At the end of the form, you will have to make the payment for the examination.
- Once your payment is done,
- You will get a link in the same window which is form 183.
- Fill the required details in the form.
- The filled form requires a sign and stamp by the Dean of your medical school.
Note: Make sure the dean’s sign is the same as mentioned in the ECFMG records. Emphasize the same to your office staff so that there would be no mistake. If the signature does not match your form, the application will become invalid.
Once your form is filled you will have to send the same to the below address as mentioned in the Form 183 which is,
3624 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685 USA
Note : The envelope should be forwarded from your dean’s office with the dean’s stamp. Generally, your college office will be familiar with this process.
- After sending the form to the above address, you will have to wait for your scheduling permit
- Within 2-3 weeks of time, you will receive and email from ECFMG which will contain the scheduling permit.
- Ensure all the mentioned details are correct.
Note: This is a very important document which you will have to carry with you on exam day without fail.
Finally, book a date at the Prometric. This is the last step of your USMLE Step 1 application.
Note: Prometric is the testing service which organises all USMLE exams.
- Go to the Prometric Website.
- Select USMLE.
- Choose your test location and preferred date of exam within your eligibility period.
You will be asked to fill in the required details as mentioned in the scheduling permit to complete the booking process.
Note: Apply at least before a month or two so that you can avoid making the last-minute mistakes.
Hope the above steps, was really helpful to complete your USMLE Step 1 application process.